OMG is right can you actually do this in a slow cooker? I love love love crock pot cooking, especially at this time of year. Nothing is better coming home to the smell of something delicious that was cooked while you were away. I know you have heard this from me before. Well even I did not know how many and different things you can cook in a crock pot and this blew my mind. So I had to share with everyone. Enjoy and get cooking.
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dry active yeast (1 packet)
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups bread flour
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Using a bread hook on electric mixer place luke warm water and sugar in the mixing bowl. Sprinkle yeast over the water, let it foam for 10 minutes.
- Turn on mixer, add apple butter, egg and salt, then slowly add the flour.
- Add the melted butter. Knead dough with the bread hook for 5-8 minutes.
- Once dough is smooth, but very tacky, turn it out onto a floured work surface. Using a floured knife cut dough into 4 quarters. Cut again each quarter into 6 equal pieces, to make 24 total small pieces.
- Turn ends of each dough piece under to create little balls. Then place a large piece of parchment paper in a crock pot (6 quart at least) and press down. Arrange 12 of the dough balls into slow cooker and carefully lift the parchment paper out, and repeat with the remaining dough balls and another piece of parchment, creating two separate batches. Place the lid on the crock pot.
- Sprinkle the rolls with a little brown sugar. Turn the slow cooker on high and cook for 60-90 minutes, depending on your crock pot. Test by touching the top of the rolls. If they are no longer tacky and feel slightly firm, the rolls are ready. Repeat with the second batch of dough balls.
- cover remaining balls with plastic wrap. Allow them to rise for 1 hour at room temperature. You could place dough balls in fridge for up to a week, until ready to bake or cook second batch now.
Hope you have fun with this recipe.